Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Two Wheeler






Dane has been riding a bike with training wheels since he was three and a half. I decided it was past time to teach him to ride with out the training wheels. He just looked so young riding to school…I was worried kids were going to start teasing him. So, just this past Saturday we decided to take them off. He of course refused, said he wouldn’t do it, didn’t want us to take them off. I didn’t give him a choice. After taking the training wheels off we took off the pedals. This allowed him to learn balance without having to worry about pedaling. Dan pushed him back and forth on the back yard patio until he could balance. When he put the pedals back on and took him out to the street he rode alone on the first push. It took him a little bit to get the hang of starting on his own but now (four days later) he’s great. He was so excited he kept asking if he could ride his bike. I told him repeatedly how proud of him I was. I would look at him and smile and he would act embarrassed or like he didn’t know what I was happy about. “What?!” he would say with huge dimples. His dimples appear when he just thinks about smiling…so cute! We rode to school yesterday. It makes me a little sad to see how time has passed but I love to see him so proud of himself and growing up.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When they smile at you, and their dimples flash, it has to be one of the best parts about being a mom!! People who don't have kids just don't understand how much you love them! So cute! Can't believe how big Kenzie is getting, and that she's already trying to walk with help!! And Dane, riding a big boy's bike? Where does time go?! Cute pictures!

abby said...

thanks for sharing. i have been wondering how to tackle this with my little guy. i didn't think to take the pedals off to help with balance. i know what we're doing today!