Monday, October 27, 2008

Can I watch you?

So to preface this little story, we have been planning to breed our dog Lexie (we are thinking about keeping one but also want to make up the money we spent when we purchased her). Anyway, she went into heat a bit sooner than I had anticipated and we hadn't found a stud to mate her with. So I guess we had been talking about finding a male dog and must have mentioned to Dane that we needed one. Its too late now to breed her (plus I realized we'd have a litter of puppies a little before Christmas which would make traveling hard.)

Anyway, today Lexie found a friend in the neighborhood. She chased the minature poodle (male, I might add) around the corner and we all went running after her. We catch up and Lexie and the other dog were having a great time chasing each other and playing. We sat and watched for a bit. Then Dane asks, "So we will have three dogs when Lexie has a puppy, right?" I was a little confused. He explains, "We will have Lexie, the husband dog and a puppy." Oh! I laugh at the term "husband" for a dog and explain that we won't be keeping the "husband."

"Why won't we keep the husband?"
"Because we just need him so she can have babies"
"Why do we need a husband dog?"
"Well, you know how to get a baby you need a mommy and a daddy? Its the same thing."
"What does the daddy do?"

Oh, great! How do I answer that to a six year old?? So I call up, Ranisa and ask what she would do. She suggests asking Dane what he thinks. So I do and he just shrugs, with his cute dimpled smile...

"I don't know, I have never watched."
I laugh, "you've never watched?"
"Can I watch you?"
Ahhh! I repeat, "Watch me???"
"Yeah, you lay babies."

So to all you out there with older kids...at what age do you actually explain how babies are made, because obviously Dane's suggestion is not a possible solution. Ahhhh! Can you imagine the questions, comments...nightmares... he'd have!?! I told him he'd have to ask Dan but when I called him he laughed and told me to just tell him. The best part was as I told the whole story to Dan, Dane was standing next to me a bit embarassed but laughing with me. I was in tears by the end of the story and Dane was laughing so hard neither of us could stop. I wonder how long the humor will distract him from asking me again. Help! What do I say?!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi how are you? I found your blog very nice so I would like to invite you to visit and become friendly with me at my art blog.

I hope you will come by and enjoy the variety of labels, and music videos and experiences as lived here in San Diego.

Great and hope to hear from you soon... see ya

Liz said...

Ha ha. Fun for you! I'd say just tell him the truth in a very matter-of-fact tone and with age appropriate lingo. He'll learn it sometime soon (yes, soon...it's happening earlier and earlier these days) and better to have him learn it from his mother than from someone else. Besides, if you are frank about it, speaking with no embarrassment, then he'll never be uncomfortable coming to you with questions instead of seeking answers from his friends. Good luck! :)

Liz said...

P.S. I responded to your comment on my blog, but in case you don't check back there I wanted to laugh with you about your discovery of the Yes on 8 sign in that painting. And, I wanted to ask...why did you send it along then? I totally thought it was because of the Yes on 8 sign! :)

Unknown said...

Oh Tiff, that's hilarious!!! I'm glad I'm not to that point yet...I have a few years before I even have to think about that! Haha! You will have to post a follow-up to let us all know how it goes!

abby said...

that is hilarious! i love the last line, you lay babies. i don't know what i'll do when e starts asking more about that. my mom had a book about the human body and gave us a very scientific education about what everything was for and what it all did. but i think i was older than dane. good luck!

abby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julee said...

Tiff that is hilarious...can't remember exactly simiar things with each of you kids. I actually was glad not to have to skirt around the question but to answer just enough it satsified them at that moment until I really felt I could say it all . Smart little boy. Wont be long before you do have to say all. And you will want to be the first to say it. Jeff he didn't want to talk about it even when I beg him to so I just did it.

Ranisa said...

Get a book memorize it, and hope that he doesn't stray from the sernio questions outlined in the book. Oh come on....tell him.

jen said...

That is too funny! I have been really lucky that I haven't had to answer those kind of questions with my kids yet.

I totally agree with you on your scrapbooking post. I am so far behind that it is not even funny! My blog is pretty much my scrapbook now. There just aren't enough hours in the day!